DBD::mysql on Vista x64, ActivePerl 5.10

Posted by j6white on 2009-02-13 12:56
Forums: PPM | OS: Windows x64

I have been trying for several hours now to install dbd::mysql on a Vista x64 box. I have installed ActivePerl 5.10.0.1004 for Windows 64-bit (x64).

It is a known issue that the ppm GUI is broken in this release:

C:\>ppm
The PPM graphical interface is not available for this Perl installation.
Run 'ppm help' to learn how to use this program as a command line tool.

I installed five repositories via the command line, as can be seen here:

ppm> repo
??????????????????????????????????????????????
? id ? pkgs ? name                           ?
?  1 ? 9828 ? ActiveState Package Repository ?
?  2 ?    0 ? theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca          ?
?  3 ?    0 ? cpan.uwinnipeg.ca              ?
?  4 ?    0 ? www.bribes.org                 ?
?  5 ?    0 ? trouchelle.com                 ?
 (5 enabled repositories)

Even though the additional four repositories appeared to install (the percentages ticked up at reasonable rates), they clearly are being interpreted by ppm as empty of packages. When I try to install dbd::mysql, unsurprisingly, it cannot be found, as it is not present in ActiveState Package Repository for whatever reason:

ppm> install dbd-mysql
ppm install failed: Can't find any package that provides dbd-mysql

Some people are able to solve their problem by using the http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/PPMPackages/10xx/ repository (I tried), but as it states at that website, only "ActivePerl 10xx Win32 PPM packages" are supplied. Since I'm running Vista x64, I'm not very surprised this didn't work for me.

Has anyone successfully been able to run dbd::mysql on a Vista x64 ActivePerl 5.10 installation? If so, how did you do it? Is mysql support being purposely discontinued for ActivePerl?

Any help would be appreciated!

KevinADC | Fri, 2009-02-13 23:07

I think you may want to uninstall activeperl and switch to strawberry perl which uses the standard CPAN interface to install modules. If you decide to try strawberry perl make sure to uninstall activeperl entirely and reboot the computer then install strawberry perl.

www.strawberryperl.com

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Wed, 2009-02-18 09:15

The CPAN script is in Strawberry Perl because it's part of core Perl. It's also in ActivePerl and works just fine as long as you have a make tool and a compatible compiler - which you'll also need if you switch to Strawberry Perl. There's documentation on the use of the CPAN script at the end of the PPM man pages. For DBD-MySql you also need to compile on a machine with a correctly configured MySql library from Sun.

PPM is a convenience tool. It is not intended to ever replace the standard CPAN distribution method.

Adding PPM repos for Win64 instances is currently pretty pointless. ActiveState in the only entity building anything except 32-bit Windows repositories. That's why you don't see any more modules available when you add more repos. PPM is smart enough to identify that the other repos hold files compiled for a different architecture.

ActiveState is strongly supports MySql. Unfortunately, as a commercial entity, there are legal issues which we beleive mean we must have an agreement in place with Sun in order to distribute DBD-MySql. To date, it has not been possible to reach any such agreement, so you will ONLY find DBD-MySQL in ActiveState repos for Operating Systems that ship with built-in MySQL libraries. Linux anyone?