"error U1073: don't know how to make '/usr/lib/perl5/5.8/cygwin/Config.pm'", on win2k, how can I solve it?

Posted by ranrodrig on 2007-01-19 13:49
Forums: PPM | OS: Windows 2000 Pro / Server

I'm trying to compile some perl pgms on my windows2k SP3 so I installed the following in order to do it:

ActivePerl 5.8.8.819
Cygwin 2.510.2.2
Parse::Binary module 0.10
nmake 15

When I run:

perl Makefile.pl, all is OK

when I run:

nmake, I got the error described previously (U1073).

If I edit the Makefile, I found the following variables:

LDDLFLAGS = -s -L/usr/local/lib
LDFLAGS = -s -L/usr/local/lib
LIBC = /usr/lib/libc.a
LIB_EXT = .a
OBJ_EXT = .o
OSNAME = cygwin
OSVERS = 1.5.18\(0.13242\)
RANLIB = :
SITELIBEXP = /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8
SITEARCHEXP = /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8/cygwin
SO = dll
EXE_EXT = .exe
FULL_AR = /usr/bin/ar
VENDORARCHEXP = /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin
VENDORLIBEXP = /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8

So I think that this error message is related to these variables, but as I'm a novice on Perl I don't know what to modify on them in order to look for Perl on C:\Perl.

My question for you Folks would be: Do you know how to modify these env variables that look like Linux ones, or if you have experienced this, can you tell how did you solve it?.

BR & TIA for your answer.

desmontoto | Thu, 2008-02-07 06:10

I have the same problem can anyone provide a solution

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Tue, 2008-06-03 15:50

Essentially, this is a cross-compile problem.

Cygwin messes with PATH (and other things) because it's a Linux emulator. This confuses native Windows apps like nmake and ActivePerl. Cygwin also has it's own native version of Perl. It is quite possible that you ran Cygwin Perl when you tried "perl makefile.pl". Nmake however, is having none of it, and throws a fit.

The simplest answer is if you are trying to use nmake and ActivePerl to build modules from CPAN sources, you have to keep cygwin out of the mix (and vice-versa).