ActivePerl 5.6.1 Build 635 -- Error 1722, Someone please help

Posted by ke3pup on 2007-11-09 04:13

Hi people

i need to install ActivePerl 5.6.1 Build 635 to work with carbide and Symbian S60v3 sdk.

when trying to install ActivePerl, as soon as the installer says "Configuring Perl" i get a error window saying that "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

The installer then rolls back! here's the full content of the Error from Even Viewer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11722
Date: 9/11/2007
Time: 11:02:12 PM

Description:
Product: ActivePerl 5.6.1 Build 635 -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action ConfigurePerl, location: C:\Perl\bin\, command: "C:\Perl\bin\wperl.exe" "-IC:\Perl\lib\\" "-IC:\Perl\site\lib\\" "C:\Perl\bin\config.pl" "C:\Perl\\"

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

can someone help and tell me how to et around this problem? Thanx

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Fri, 2007-11-09 15:29

This error message has been linked to several common installation problems. Most frequently the culprit turns out to be Antivirus Protection. If you have realtime system protection enabled, be sure to disable it before running the installer.

You will need to be logged in as an administrator of the target computer. You will also need to ensure that you have full permissions to install on the drive you have chosen.

MSI Installers also have a known issue with mapped network drives; please copy the installer to the c:\ root drive and try running the installation again.

If you are using the NTFS file system, please make sure that the SYSTEM account has full rights over the target installation directory, the directory containing the installer file, AND the Windows Installer directory, located at either c:\WINNT\Installer\ (WINNT 4 / Windows 2000) or c:\Windows\Installer\ (Windows XP).

You must have Microsoft Windows Installer version 2.0 or greater to run the MSI package. There is a link to download the correct Windows Installer for your platform on the System Requirements page:

http://activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/system_requirements.plex

The MSI file may be corrupt. You may also want to try re-downloading the installation package and trying the installation again.

http://downloads.activestate.com

In some cases problems result from an altered Windows Scripting Host installation. That can be cleared by reinstalling Windows Scripting Host, which can be downloaded from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c717d943-7e4b-4...

( for Windows 2000 / XP )

or

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a8a18f6-249c-4...

( for Windows 9x / Me / NT4 )

If you are still seeing errors after the re-installation attempt, it would be helpful if you could send us a log of the installation process. You can perform Microsoft Installer logging using the msiexec command:

C:\> msiexec /I installer_file_name.msi /L install.log

Send the resultant install.log file to support@activestate.com and we will investigate further.

chaocai | Sat, 2007-11-10 19:40

Here is a nother Event Viewer log of Error 1772:

Product: ActivePerl 5.6.1 Build 635 -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action GenerateHTML, location: C:\Perl\bin\, command: "C:\Perl\bin\wperl.exe" "-IC:\Perl\lib\\" "-IC:\Perl\site\lib\\" -MActivePerl::DocTools -e UpdateHTML

I have tried everything that I could, according to "grahams" suggestion about making sure windows installer and scripting host up-to-date. However, it still fails immediately and can only rollback as soon as the installation reaches "Atatus: Generating HTML Document(please wait).

This failure seems only happen on my recent installed WINFLP and/or WINDOWS embedded. Another search found a post mentioned it could be a missing windows service; however I compared a normal WINXP home/professional side-by-side with my failed WINFLP service list, but found nothing really relevant that can cause this problem.

Can Anyone Please help me solving this problem? Many Thanks

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Thu, 2008-01-24 15:49

If this is solely a problem with installation of the HTML docs, you might be able to work around it by disabling the Documentation component when the option is offered early in the install.

puli | Thu, 2008-04-24 07:07

I had the same problem recently. I was trying to install the same version of ActivePerl 5.6.1

It looks like I had another more recent version of ActivePerl 5.8.8 installed. I removed this and it fixed the original problem.

I would think that 5.8.8 should be backward compatible with 5.6.1, but cannot believe that Carbide SDK from Nokia tightly couples scripts to a particular version of Perl!!

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Tue, 2008-04-29 08:37

5.6.1, 5.8.anything, and 5.10.anything are all binary incompatible. An "uninstall" will almost always leave behind modules for the former version which will cause unpredictable crashes or installation failures. Anytime there is an upgrade/downgrade to a different major version number, the Perl directory should be manually deleted before installing the new version.

Carbide was written against 5.6 binaries, and it would likely work with a range of 5.6 builds but 5.6.1 is the best and most reliable available. Possibly there are size restrictions with Symbian or other technical reasons why Carbide has not been ported to 5.8.

comptrol | Fri, 2008-08-15 23:41

Hi grahams, thank you for your helpful comments. Although, I have tried every step of your comments, It is still giving me the same error. So, here is the corresponding section of my log.

RegisterProduct: {74FF7C9F-6E1F-4D46-8E3C-4F8A0B47760D}
Action 21:59:06: PublishFeatures. Publishing Product Features
PublishFeatures: Feature: TOP_FEATURE
PublishFeatures: Feature: PERL_FEATURE
PublishFeatures: Feature: PERLIS
PublishFeatures: Feature: PERLSE
PublishFeatures: Feature: PPM2
PublishFeatures: Feature: PPM
PublishFeatures: Feature: EXAMPLES
Action 21:59:06: PublishProduct. Publishing product information
1: _ea7a88b2948ad2d892b55fa414401f2b
1: {74FF7C9F-6E1F-4D46-8E3C-4F8A0B47760D}
Action 21:59:07: ConfigurePerl. Configuring ActivePerl...
Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action ConfigurePerl, location: C:\Perl\bin\, command: "C:\Perl\bin\wperl.exe" "-IC:\Perl\lib\\" "-IC:\Perl\site\lib\\" "C:\Perl\bin\config.pl" "C:\Perl\\"
MSI (s) (54:D4) [21:59:13:996]: Product: ActivePerl 5.6.1 Build 635 -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action ConfigurePerl, location: C:\Perl\bin\, command: "C:\Perl\bin\wperl.exe" "-IC:\Perl\lib\\" "-IC:\Perl\site\lib\\" "C:\Perl\bin\config.pl" "C:\Perl\\"

Action ended 21:59:14: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Action 21:59:14: Rollback. Rolling back action:
Rollback: Configuring ActivePerl...

I would really be appreciative if you help me too. Thanks in advance.