There are numerous components inside of Komodo that can become a performance hindrance, especially on older computing machines. Luckily, there are a number of features and components that can be turned off. Here are a few of these most common performance sensitive components that can be disabled:
- Code Intelligence autocomplete and calltips (fires from editor key press events)
- Syntax checking, aka linting (fires after code changes)
- Disable wordwrap, as this can become intensive for files with long lines
- Disable folding, this intensifies the code parsing process
- Ensure there are no mixed line endings (will show up as green squiggles)
- If using Komodo IDE SCC integration, ensure the "Do recursive status checks" preference is turned off
- Reduce the number of opened files and projects? As this is a large contributor to the startup speed.
Platform specific ideas
- Mac OS X: Ensure you are using the correct build for your Mac architecture, check the "Komodo->About" menu, it should be macosx-x86 if you have an Intel machine, else macosx-powerpc for PowerPC. See here on how to check your system: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1531
Feel free to add others as you come across them.